Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Tale of the Never-Ending, Never-Dying Smoke Detector....


It all started around 2 am. Beep....Beep....Beep. This is annoying. Really annoying. Especially when I'm trying to fall back asleep and anticipating the next Beep is not good for sleeping habits.

Lets talk about the anticipation. Whoever made these non-dying alarms must have decided it would have been funny to make the time between the beeps as long as possible. So you're counting.....and you hear beeps in your head, and you realize you haven't heard them for awhile.... right when you think it stopped for good....BEEP!!! AH!!!!!! WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN AT 2 AM!?!?!?

So, obviously-because I'm the best wife ever, I hit Mike, who was in a sound sleep, I know this because of his snoring, which is a completely different chapter in the 'Meagan never will sleep again' novel. Mike was just oh too sweet about getting up to fix the smoke alarm. It amazes me he never gets upset about me waking him up in the early hours.

Anyway, Mike stands on the edge of the bed and pushes a button (that emergency button, the one you push to make sure the thing still works. As if the people who really are capable of sleeping through fire, are also capable of checking their smoke alarm.) That seems to work. He waits for the beep.....waiting....waiting. And gets back in bed "good night" "thank you honey" BEEP!!!!

So the covers are thrown off, the light turns on. The battery compartment must be here somewhere!! Mike goes and gets a kitchen chair. And is standing on it. Still. Where on earth? There has to be batteries in this thing, right? BEEP!!! It's this point Mike starts swearing. Ha ha. For the cause of keeping this post kid-friendly (and mormon friendly too, really) I'll spare the details....

Mike is frustrated, and the beeping just won't stop. He looks at the alarm, realizes it is attached to wires.... electricity......hm....
"what if I turn the circuit breaker off...."
At this point, I am tired, cold, and want to die.
"anything....seriously...."
So he turns the breaker off to our bedroom. No clock, no lights... it's a small price to pay for silence. He gets back into bed. And just as we are both dosing off into wonderland...BEEP!!!

HOW ON EARTH???

The circuit breaker is switched back. I am sobbing. He is swearing. Mitchell is now screaming. My life! I just don't understand.

So, I'm feeding my baby, Mike is still standing on the kitchen chair desperately searching for the battery compartment and he gives up, and quite frankly, so did I, even though I really just laid there, fighting the battle of laughing or crying.

For the next hour the three of us laid there, anticipating the next beep. And finally, there was no beep. It was over. It had to be. I think it finally died. And you know what? I'm not replacing those batteries, nor am I marching down to the apartment manager and asking them to fix it. Who cares?? I'm fairly certain I would wake up if there was a fire. Please.... I don't sleep anyway! Right now I'm counting my blessings that we live in apartment with only one smoke detector. One that works no longer!!! Ha ha ha!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, I'd have to say that I would agree. The fire alarm wants to die, and if need be, we will buy a new one.

Meagan said...

whatever! since when are you for buying a new one? if it wants to die, I will let it.

Christopher Leach said...

In these cases, I generally recommend a pair of wire cutters and a sledgehammer...

Jen Taylor said...

woo hoo! I can see it again!!!!

Grandma said...

Oh, that is just like my story the other night. From 3 a.m. on something kept beeping. Finally, I woke papa up. . . not so fun, and it turned out it was his cell phone. . . battery died! Wish I had known what it was . . . would have thrown it out on the front porch! My sympathies.

Anonymous said...

well, what's funny is that we put them in our storage closet outside because it was annoying us to the point of insanity.

Jen Taylor said...

I took that picture of you!! I took that!!! Yay! Go me!

sara said...

At least your storage closet is now safe from fire. . .