Monday, June 1, 2009

Our Weekend To the District of Columbia

I had this great idea in my head, that when I went to Washington DC, I'd take some lovely pictures of Mitch, and of the sites, and of the wedding, and of the trees really, oh, and don't forget of the shrinking pringle top, so you can imagine my dismay when I tried to pull out my camera to take a few of Mitch and it was not there. So I went the entire weekend thinking, "Ah, dang, I really wish I wasn't an idiot and remembered my camera" Then to arrive back home, and realizing it was not there.....and freaking out because I thought I lost it on the way there somehow....and then finding it in my purse. Yep, I had it the entire time. This is so my life.

My next idea is to steal all the photos off of certain Taylor's facebooks. I plan to do that as soon as they post some. I'm fairly certain they have some nice one's of Mitch. And of the wedding. You know, to prove we were actually there. This all really happened. And that's all I want. I spend everyday trying to prove my sanity to strangers and family alike.

Anyway, so silly me decided to plan/throw a bridal shower for the bride. Which is fine, except I don't really live there. And our plane was late, and the car rental lines were long, and the traffic was bad, and where are their grocery stores in DC!? And thus a 7 o'clock party started around 9 and ended around midnight. Again, my life! It turned out okay, as even the bride herself was late, and the grooms family was stuck in Pennsylvania or something, and everyone was late, so everyone was there. Some might call it a success, I call it a relief. I'm just glad so many people offered to help, because I really had no idea how I was going to pull that one off. But I guess it all worked out in the end.

So, the wedding itself was nice [insert Washington DC temple pictures here] The temple's a lot bigger than you imagine. Then I imagined at least. And I cried the entire time. Which is really pathetic because I didn't even break a tear at my own wedding. And me, being a horrible mother and all, definitely forgot to bring matching colors for Mitch. Actually, I brought a black dress for me to wear purely by luck. I was going to wear a grey skirt and black top but the black top was dirty. I was *this close* to wearing a bright spring crazy skirt, too. So I was relieved by this "mistake" as everyone else wore her wedding colors.... oi... except for Mitch, (you know, because I'm his mom) who was in an orange t-shirt and brown shorts- which totally clashes with Red, Black and White. Sorry.... Hopefully the photographer knows how to use photoshop. Sigh.... Not only that, but Mitch wanted to crawl around the entire time, so all of the pictures, I'm sure, have him either nose diving for the ground or screaming. Lovely.

I dare say the highlight of this whole trip was watching Mike and his twin brother sing "Sherry Baby" to their sister at the wedding dinner. That was just so beautiful. I wish I could have recorded that little number.

And we were going to go see 'the sites' but I *thought* (*sob*) I forgot my camera, and thus didn't care. (yes, I know the camera is optional, but still) And we didn't want to miss our flight, especially because Mike was flying standby. Mitch, on the plane ride, totally flirted with the airline stewardesses. One even had a nice puppet and played with him every time she'd walk by. And referred to him as her boyfriend. And blew bubbles at my face. Thank you for that. Overall Mitch was pretty good on the plane. He's learned how to give kisses, and will usually kiss me when I ask. (except when he insists on being defiant and will smile and try not to laugh while avoiding eye contact for as long as possible. It's fantastic, this new found Independence of his) While on the plane, during his carrot/oatmeal lunch (tasty, isn't it?) with baby food all over his face, he stood up and planted a nice fat baby kiss right on my mouth. So then it looked as if I was enjoying his meal with him. Thanks Mitchell. What are you supposed to do when that happens? Say "ew gross?" poor kid would have gotten a complex. So I stayed with my usual "Ah....thank you!" Overly exaggerated voice. Sweet. Carrots and oatmeal is not a nice combo, if any of you were wondering.

Well, that's it. Short trip. Our next flight out will be for Christmas and hopefully we can stay a little longer. Mike and I did drive up to Virgina, and I think I want to live there, ha. I love the east. It has a nice, peaceful, quiet feel to it. Anyway....I have nothing else to say. I'm the blog version of Beethoven I guess. "Bam!..Bam!...Bam Bam Bam!.....Bam!.......Bam!" He never could end his piece and clearly neither can I. So....I'll just say goodbye for now.

5 comments:

ruth said...

So I know this is totally stalker-ish, but as Cheri's best friend since we were 3, while I love her, she is not a very good blogger. And while I wanted so badly to go to the wedding, we just didn't have the funds...why am I telling you all this? Because you are a wonderful, descriptive blogger. and I cried reading this post. So... thank you. you made my day. even with out pictures!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you made my day too, I think I can now say that I feel like i was there the entire time because your blog explained it in detail,lol. Kidding ruth. Yeah wish we could have visited Barack

Grandma said...

Sounds like a typical trip with a typical baby. Glad you got home safely. Sorry about your camera. Sounds like your brain is on overload and you have too many things to worry about. Maybe a nice relaxing massage would help. Love you lots!

Anonymous said...

Life is always an adventure. You never know what will happen. :) Glad you had a safe trip.

sara said...

I lose my keys, camera, credit cards, children, etc. all the time to find they are exactly where I left them. But for some reason I am not able to find them until I am desperate enough to ask Thad for help just so he can mock me in his own special way. The trip sounded fun and glad you found your camera.