Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Entire Month of August.

Weeeelllll.....

As many of you know, Mike and I traveled to Ohio a few weeks ago to visit Mike's mom, who has been sick, and unfortunately and recently, has taken a turn for the worse, so the three of us flew out as soon as we could.

Since ASAP happened to be right before my birthday, Mike celebrated with me and my family here, and made me my very own cake (and the first cake he has ever made, ha) I requested a pink strawberry cake. Because I like strawberry cake. I forgot to mention the whole high-altitude thing, so it ended up being a very short cake. But it tasted good.

Mike, being a man, decided to use his rational/conservative thinking over his fun/creative/living-in-the-moment/Meagan-style thinking and bought two "2"'s instead of 22 individual candles. Why? Because if we save them, we can use one on Mitch's cake next year. He even bought unisex colors.

As you can see, one candle broke in half. Using his ever-manly thinking once again, he decides to "glue" it together via pink frosting (and therefore lost the oh-so-thoughtful unisex color scheme of the 2nd pink 2 candle- but not to fear! I turned 22!! There was another 2 candle. And yes, I will use that candle next year, just so I can tell this story all over again)

My parents and siblings came over for cake and ice cream, and paul gave me a hair brush. I mention this, because I have used the same hairbrush for 12 years. I'm not exaggerating either. When I told my mom this wonderful fact a month or so ago (along with the fact that Mike doesn't own a hair brush) she got this disgusted look on her face like I should maybe get a new hairbrush. But! I never did. So.... I was excited. And so was Mike. Because now he has his very own hairbrush. (see how thrifty we are!! It's called hand-me-downs. And yes, we do the same for toothbrushes. *note sarcasm)

We flew to Ohio Sunday. And since we flew stand-by, we were pretty much in the st. louis airport the entire day. Fun fun. It was during this time Mitch walked 7 steps!! Yeah!!! 7!!!

Monday was my real birthday, and Cheri made me a chocolate cake. Which was wonderful. I'm liking this 2 birthday deal. She even decorated it, and added 22 individual candles. Ha.

This is Sophia. A crazy 5 year old, my cousin-in-law, that loves jumping on the tramp in hot weather and high humidity. She had so much energy!! I'm starting to feel bad about dragging all my aunts and uncles outside, away from all air conditioning and shade. "Plllleeeeaassseeee!!! How 'bout NNNOOOOOOWWWWW?????" obviously my turn at karma has come.

Also, on Monday, it rained!!! Which, it was that exact moment, when I was deemed "crazy" by the Taylor family. And I'm okay with that, because it rained on my birthday. Again. After running outside in the middle of a rainstorm, taking a picture, and texting it to pretty much everybody in the family, I really don't think I will ever be seen as normal again.

That ordeal, and the fact that Cheri and I bought matching yellow maxi skirts. (I so wish I had a picture) They were on sale, and I liked it. It's actually pretty cute, and comfortable (what else is there?) But, Mike's dad pretty much thought they were the grossest thing ever made (though, no, he never said that.) Maybe it was the mustard yellow color. Or maybe the fact that they nearly dragged the ground. Or maybe the fact that Mike found a new sport in trying to de-pants me (never buy elastic waist anything). I was refered to as Snow White for the remainder of the day. Rude. I guess I found a Halloween costume. Maybe we'll go to Ohio again, just to be obnoxious. Then, not only can I wear the infamous skirt, but I can also mimic Snow White's lovely singing voice the whole night. It's perfect.

Mitchell is basically the best kid ever, and hardly ever cried. Which was nice. And by the end of the first or second day was holding out his arms to everyone who would glance his way. Basically, he never wanted to be near me as there were more fun people around him constantly. He loved Cheri, Grandma, and Grandpa and would sit by anyone and talk for hours. Or scream. Or put on a show (he's just like his dad, really). But he had the time of his life.

We took Mitch swimming with his only cousin, and he once again, practiced his breathing under water techniques. That, or he thinks it feels good to have water going up his nose. Either way, it looks as if Mitch will be swimming alone in record time.

Mike and I are so grateful for the time we got to spend with Amy and the rest of the family. We both wish we could have stayed a little longer, the week went by too fast.

Post Ohio life has been pretty uneventful, except that I'm trying to hang pictures of the family on the wall and nothing is working for my benefit. It's a long story, and this is already a long post, ha, but pretty much I haven't been thinking at all, which is nothing new.

See, Mike and I bought these lovely frames, and they hold 25 pictures. So, one frame holds 5X7's and the other 2 hold 4X6. Being me, I ordered 25 5X7's- and they are expensive! It was like 40 bucks if we wanted them done in an hour (which I did, but Mike has more brain cells than me and opted to save 26 dollars and wait a week.) So we wait a week. We pick them up, line them up all nice and pretty. And we go to put them in the frames, and finally realize we need 4X6. So the next day (because it was midnight), we go back to walmart and wait an hour for 4X6 pictures (which are substainially cheaper). We get home, I'm all excited, and we somehow missed 2 pictures. So I make Mike go back to walmart, and their photo lab is closed, sad day. So instead of Mike ordering 1 hour, he orders them a week out (which, kudos to him, saved us 6 cents) Now I feel like crying, since it's been a month, and there are still no pictures on the wall.


And that friends, is my saga for today.

In other news, Mitch is walking like a champ, and we think it's time for some hard-heeled shoes. (yes! We have arrived!) I miss my little baby though, he looks more like a mini man than a toddler. And, he's given up on cuddles and hugs, but has recently been trying to blow kisses. Cutest. Kid. Ever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who's the good looking guy behind the baby in the pool?

Anonymous said...

meg your so creative sorry you had to go so soon love you tons
EM
or in moms blog
BoO

Jessica said...

Mitchell is walking?!?!?! Really? Wow! Sophie is getting really close but is completely content with crawling. She can get around faster that way. Have a great week!

Grandma said...

Meags,

You tell Mitch to slow down...Great grandma is coming! Don't grow up yet! Glad you got to go to Ohio. Mike's mom looks pretty sick. We are very sorry. Hope Mike's family is doing ok. See ya sooon!