Sunday, August 2, 2009

Microwave Woes.

So, a few weeks ago (weeks, people) Thom, Amy, and Emma were hanging out with Mike and I when I smelled a horrible smell. I thought maybe some of our crappy tupperware from IKEA got sucked down to the bottom of the dishwasher and melting away. And since it was my turn (ha) on the game we were playing I asked Thom to go stop the dishwasher to find the melting plastic.

Only, it wasn't melting plastic, nor the dishwasher. It was our "new" microwave literally dripping flames from the top. Mike was quick with the baking soda. The whole top was melted off and wires were exposed (the wires that were dripping with flames of fire) Lovely.

So we call the emergency maintenance number to find that it rings busy. That's even better.

Monday rolls around and I call and explain the problem/immediate danger and maintenance comes and diagnose our microwave. "Oh," they say, "This particular model was reclaimed in 2005." "I thought these were all new appliances" "Yeah, well, it probably was, new, in the box, that was, uh, bought, in, you know... 2002" "Yeah, I'm not betting on that" But I digress.

It takes a week to order a new microwave.

So 2 weeks go by, and we call them. Apparently it's still in shipping. Again, really? Probably not. You all probably just forgot. And I'm okay with that. Except Mitchell hasn't eaten vegetables in weeks, because the only vegetables I buy are in my freezer, ready to cook steam fresh via microwave. I probably could have boiled them in a pot on the stove, but innovation thoughts like that rarely cross my mind.

A few days linger, and finally they call and say they will install a new microwave Tuesday! YAY! Maybe their calendars are wrong, but they clearly meant Wednesday.

Wednesday they show up with the huge thing that really doesn't look like it's going to fit anywhere, let alone the small place provided above our oven.

It doesn't. And since it's somehow against their policy to take their shoes off (perhaps the same policy that requires the DI employees to wear gloves??) they stomp their stinky huge dirty boots all over the off-white carpet which I'm beginning to loathe. (My new best friend... Resolve carpet cleaner. Along with Mr. Clean lemon flavored cleaning solution) Also, it must have been against their policy to walk around the pasta and hot dogs Mitch so conveniently threw at their feet. Thank you everyone.

They had to move the cabinet above the microwave up a bit, dust flying everywhere, and the microwave was shoved in place. They forgot some nails, so one guy left the other guy holding the microwave in place and left. Only to come back 10 mins. later when the guy's arm was nearly dead, they had an "emergency" and "they'd be back later"

Grreeeaaat.

So, after about 10 mins, I start thinking that they might not ever come back. The microwave is taking up the entire floor of my kitchen, and it's too heavy to move. So I call my mom, because usually she's pretty good at preventing sobbing, thinking she'd have some great words of wisdom, and do you know what she says?

"Oh, that'd make a great blog"

Really? Really? That's what my life is? One great giant blog mess? Lovely. So, here mom, here is your blog.

They did come back, by the way, about a gazillion minutes later. "Sorry we took so long, busy job this is" Busy and conveniently around lunch time. I see how it is.

But it's fixed. And the carpets back to it's normal color. And my floor needed to be mopped anyway. And that night we celebrated with steamed green beans (Each post I'm sounding lazier and lazier) they cook for 4.5 mins. What's weird, is that when I started cooking it said "Phase one" then proceeded to count down from there. High tech or something. Then, I heard one little beep "Phase Two" and it started counting down from 4.5 mins again. Hmmm. Microwave, when I tell you to cook something for 4.5 mins, that doesn't mean cook it for 4.5 mins in 10 different "phases" whatever that means. Anyone understand the new microwave lingo?

I have just realize I live right next to (I mean, like 5 steps right next to) a park. How did I not notice? No idea. It's clear I prefer to live in La-La land like my mother.

So this is Mitch at the new found park.


We've been recently called to nursery and kids finally like me. I thought that day would never come. This darling little girl ran straight inside "Sister TAYYYYLOOOORRRR!!" nearly toppling me over. Ahhh.... this is way better than sunday school, except for when some stinky leader (after Mitchell padded, and I mean padded, didn't even hit, this girls head, and the girl looked up at him like "what?") says, "hit him back, Lily! Hit him back!" What?? Since when do you say that to 3 year olds, and since when do you do it when I'm sitting right here and moved his hand away. And he's just barely a year! Irritating.

Anyway, awhile ago we went to the new water park- Cowabunga Bay. Mitch isn't scared of the water or even a bit leery of it. Quite the contrary, actually, we swam around the lazy river and he just loves putting his entire face down smack in the water. And come up laughing. I don't know how he isn't getting water up his nose actually. I can't even do that. haha. Perhaps we have a little swimmer on our hands.....

2 comments:

Tara said...

Pretty sad when the up side to sadness in life is that it makes a great blog - but, it really did! Good luck with your new space shuttle microwave. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm really no help with the new microwave. Ours is probably 10 years old. Thanks for sharing your daily adventures with us. Mitchell is growing up way too fast. I think we need to get together for a play date sometime.