Monday, August 1, 2016

Mitchell Turns 8

Mitchell turned 8 and it was his turn for a fancy, almost-kill-mom, friend party. And he loves Star Wars so it was only natural we host a Jedi Training party.

"Mom, can we get a death star piƱata?"

That seems reasonable.

Except it doesn't exist so I had to ponder back to my 3rd grade skills and create it. Good thing it was a circle. I'm not sure we could have managed anything more complicated.

Death Star: Check.

And then we scored 12 yards of brown knit fabric at Hancock's going out of business sale. Total cost was like $7.14 or something crazy. 

Jedi robes for the entire neighborhood: Check.

We made light sabers out of pool noodles. Because why not? Weapons for children: Check.

Some yarn laser beams tangled up around dowels "Agility": Check

Decorated storm trooper balloons to demolish: Check.


Random wood from the garage, let's call it "balance": Check.

Giant boxes gathered from various neighbors: space travel maze!: Check.

Lava & stones to jump across: Check



Food labeled "Hans Rolos", "Yoda Soda", "Obi-Wan Kabobies" and other ridiculous puns: Check


A make-shift Darth Vader costume so Dad can sneak out of the shed and defeat everyone: Check



I'm exhausted thinking about it again.


Since the friend party was on his actual party, we had family come over for (more) cake and ice cream after. And then Mitchell spent the night at grandma's house, and didn't miss us.





And then he got baptized. His interview with the bishop was after we had spent the day swimming with grammy, so we ran home and I told him to get dressed quick. I was changing Audrey and drove to the church without looking at the stellar outfit he had put on. This picture was taken after. For history's sake. 

Awesome. Mike's whole family was in town the end of July, so we got special permission to hold his baptism before the scheduled stake baptism, at 7pm, the Saturday we all got back from camping. A little bit stressful. A little bit insane. But we were happy everyone was able to be there.




And he started guitar lessons! He's learning fast and I love how much he loves it. I tried to talk him into the cello- fail. What happened was Ali wanting to play the cello. I told her 2 more years, when she's 7. She's counting the days down.





Happy birthday Mitchell. We love you (even if you do teach Audrey to pick her nose).



SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments: