Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The first and last time I decide to throw an over-the-top birthday party for my already spoiled child.

Mitchell turns 6.  I spent most of the days in near tears because he's 6, and I don't feel old enough to have a 6 year old, and for some reason we just kept talking about the night he was born and all the silly little things he used to do as a baby, and the kid acts like he's 48 and is more responsible than I am (you're grown up enough so stop it).

We had these grand plans to buy a zoo pass this year, for part of his birthday present, but then when the reality sank in that it was going to be a million degrees that day, and I'd have to walk around with both children by myself I said, "You know, Mitchell, we could do anything on your birthday.  Anything you want."

"Like swimming?"

"YES!"

Done and done.  We ventured out to the local pool and the kids and I had the time of our lives running around like crazy people. They're at such a fun age.  I love not having to worry about diaper bags or extra clothing.  And both kids are freakishly mature, so it's like going to the pool with your BFFs.

No pictures, maturity doesn't equal swimming ability so I did have to stay near by.  Mitchell is tall enough to touch all of the shallow end, Ali is not, but Mitchell loved feeling like he had super strength and carried Ali around all over the deeper end of the shallow end (while she laid her head back, getting her hair all wet "like ariel")

Swimming lessons, I found out, are super cheap so I'm seeing our near future here since both kids love the water and dislike all kinds of safety precautions.


And then we went to lunch at chick fil a.  And because Ali likes sandwiches, and doesn't want chicken nuggets,  her little "happy meal" is special ordered with a chicken sandwich and costs just as much as a combo meal.  Lovely.

Mitchell came home and opened a present.  I let him open his spiderman lego set I found him and was so excited about since they are 2 of his loves wrapped into one awesome toy. The best reaction -ever-
"oh my gosh.  oh my gosh oh my gosh.  you're the best mom.  oh my gosh. are you serious? Oh my gosh.  can we open it!? Oh my gosh!" and just giggles.  So cute.






Later that night we had a party with family for (sams club) (cup)cakes and ice cream.  He's been asking for a scooter for a good 6 months now, so we bought him a blue one, forgetting that he changes his favorite color every year on his birthday (so it's green now, but 5 year old mitchell liked blue). But he loves it and mastered it pretty quickly.






And then probably because I have a death wish, we invited pretty much everyone we've ever known to a huge carnival style party.  I didn't take very many pictures, sadly, but I did take a few:




 Thanks to Aunt Emma for her balloon animal making skills (this girl is just full of surprises), Madee for her hand reading/fortune telling skills and the random people that Emma knew to help with the Pin the Tail on the donkey, fishing, bean bag toss, and target shooting games. And thanks to the $60 I spent at dollar tree for prizes and other useless crap that is long in the garbage.  I was amazed the 25 children were entertained for an entire hour and a half.  Woah baby.











Ali, the little darling, has all the grand plans for her birthday in October.  I might have to reign it in just an inch or two.  At least we've established kid parties aren't a yearly occurrence.  

Happy Birthday Mitchell! So glad this 6 year old is mine.  He starts 1st grade on Monday (what!?) and I'm a little nervous to send him from 9-4.  With lunch.  And without Ali…… Ali and I are going to have some real bonding time haha.  Poor girl.

1 comment:

Madee said...

You're adorable. You're kids are adorable. Love you tons :)