I remember Mitchell climbing on things. He'd climb up, and then instantly start crying because he couldn't get down. And the climbing heights reached.... perhaps the kitchen table, or the top of the couch.
Not. Ali.
Ali climbs on everything and then starts laughing. And by laughing, I mean full-stomach-hardly-breathing-snorting-belly laughs. And she crinkles her eyes and nose up so her face is all distorted, perched up on whatever table/appliance is the tallest, on top of the most expensive item on the table, and laughs. laughs.
She laughs because I say "GOO GOO! GET DOWN!" and, apparently, that's hilarious.
Also, sometimes she just jumps off things because she thinks I'm standing right there waiting for her to do so. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not.
I've found her on my computer desk, perched (PERCHED?! Like an owl. With her legs held close to her body and her little rear bouncing up and down. And don't forget her head thrown back in uncontrollable laughter.) on. top. of. my. macbook. get. down. from. there.
While she was perched on top of my laptop, she found a marker and colored all over it. Also, by the looks of it, colored herself and tried to eat it/put lipstick on (I'm really not sure which. I'll I know is her lips were green)
Washable markers are the only kind of marker I will ever ever ever ever buy (well, and thankfully have ever bought). Because that little adventure happened in 2.5 seconds while I was turning Octonauts on for the 13th time for child #1.
Chairs, tables, couches, desks, beds, etc, etc. I've found her trying to climb up on the counter via drawers. I'm pretty sure she could climb up the fridge if I left her alone with it for 10 mins or so. She climbs up the slide at any and all parks/playgrounds/airport play stations. By "climbs up the slide" I actually mean, climbs all the way to the top, turns around, and slides down. This is not child's play. This like raising an actual monkey while being the hippo who cannot climb trees.
Meanwhile, Mitchell is really good at teaming up with her. So he's dragging chairs over to the counter "Mom! For goo-goo! Goo-goo and Mitchell want a fruit snack!" Long over are the days Mitchell did the chair-counter-fridge-FRRUUUITSNNNNNACKS thing. He is trying to pass that lovely habit off to his sister and is actually helping Ali climb on the fridge too. At least that was their evil plot that did not happen, thank goodness. Ali made it to the chair with Mitchell coaxing her on top of the counter, when I found them. Fruit snacks are not on top of the fridge anymore. They're in an easily accessible cupboard because I know my children, my children's sense of smell (I'm not kidding when I say they can find anything. Especially Ali. She doesn't even have to know it exists before she can find it), and I can't take any chances. So now I have to watch more carefully when they' re in the kitchen so they don't eat all the fruit snacks in one sitting. Which they could do. "No more fruit snacks today! You'll get a tummy ache!" And now Mitchell says, "No dinner today. I have a tummy ache. I had too many fruit snacks" And slurps down from the table, lies on the floor for a few minutes, then jumps up and plays till he realizes he's hungry, then asks for more fruit snacks.
I have issues with fruit snacks, obviously. Why do they love them so much?! Ali almost hyperventilates in excitement any time the mere word is mentioned. And she basically passes out from all her emotions when one is opened and handed to her. It's not like these are a rare treat. Though, they should be. Did I mention Mitchell loves carrots now? and ranch.
And somewhere between February and March, Mitchell turned into this little sneaky preschool boy. Like, peeing on the carpet just so he could wear his new underwear (All you have to do is ask, dude). Like, begging me to wake Ali up from her nap she had just settled into, and when I wouldn't give in, he convinced me he needed his backpack out of the car. Gone seconds, and ran back in to find him in Ali's room with the light on, singing "goo goo is awake!" and her crying and rubbing her eyes because she did, in fact, need a nap.
It goes on and on and on.
We're driving home from church, Sunday, and the following conversation takes place:
Mitchell: "I want a sprite, dad"
Dad: "No Mitchell, it's sunday"
Mitchell: "I need to go to Mcdonalds."
Me: "We don't go to Mcdonalds on Sunday"
Mitchell: "Yes Mcdonalds on Sunday. Yeeeesss. We doooooo"
Me: "Not today"
(passing Mcdonalds)
Mitchell: "Mom!! There are kids at Mcdonalds! There are! Mcdonalds is awake!"
Me, finally turning around and acting like a parent: "Mitchell. We don't go to any store on Sunday, because Heavenly Father wants us to go to church and be together, and not go to Mcdonalds today. Heavenly Father and Jesus don't want us to go to Mcdonalds on Sunday"
Mitchell contemplates this answer for a short 10 seconds and then says, "Mom. Heavenly Father said it's okay to go to Mcdonalds on Sunday. Yeeeeessss. It's okkkkaaaaay."
I just bursted into laughter and let Mike finish the conversation which ended with "Mom will help you make cookies when we get home."
When he wants to FaceTime his grandma-ma and I say no, he suggests I take a shower. When I say it's time to go, he'll demand 4 more minutes. When I say no to fruit snacks or any other prized food, he takes my head in his hands and says "close your eyes". When I say no to anything else he gives me a biiig hug, kisses me all over my face, and then says "pllleeeasssee mmoooooommmm"
I can't keep up with these two. Literally.

2 comments:
I'm glad they keep you on your toes. Soon nothing will surprise you. Just keep being super mom!
This is all true and while you are showering Mitch calls me 10 times. I can barely keep up with them :)
Post a Comment