Family Home Evening is always an adventure. Since Mitchell had trouble expressing himself, we always did short, simple, basic lessons, usually from the nursery manual, things like "Heavenly Father loves you" and "I am thankful for fish"
Which were great, and still are. But after watching this past conference "someone" (ha) said something *like* (ha) Kids understand more than you think they do, and something about how they need to know scripture stories. I'm not really sure. In fact, I don't even have enough of that "quote" to go look it up. Awesome, right?
But anyway, Mike and I decided to focus on book of mormon stories for family home evening. Then, when Mitchell gets to primary, he can blow everyone away with the abundant knowledge I will shove in his head in these short 2 months. (He's going to be a sunbeam! (yay) I cannot believe it.)
So, the beginning seems like a good place to start. And every monday for the past few weeks, we've been talking about Nephi. Nephi has a lot of great stories:
1. Nephi slays Laban
2. Nephi breaks his bow
3. Nephi's dad has a dream
4. Nephi builds a boat
5. Nephi's brothers are mean, the liahona stops working.
6. Nephi makes swords with Laban's sword.
Mostly, this all were pretty interesting to Mitchell. We drew pictures and used the book of book of mormon stories (yeah, that's pretty explanatory of me. I'm just full of awesome today)
Mitchell was pretty hysterically awesome for all these stories. He clearly did not understand the slaying of the head, but loved loved the boat stories. In fact, he's still going around telling me that Nephi built a boat, and Laman and Lemuel said sorry and that "fixed" the boat.
So, the other day, we're playing with tinker toys, and Mitchell puts some sticks together and proudly explains that he "built Nephi's boat!!" Oh, my. This is just adorable. Also, he knows the "I will go, I will DOOO!" Nephi song and sings it regularly. Not as regularly as "Tonight, Tonight. There's a party on the roof top top of the world" but still. He's been a.dor.a.ble.
So, tonight. Nephi, well, dies. And I figure the allegory of the olive trees is, actually, a little over Mitchell's head. So, we skip over to Enos, and...
No. Mitchell just did not want any of it. "Look he's praying" No. He wanted to learn more about Nephi and his boat, so he pulled out the book and retold it (again). It goes something like "Nephi builded a boat. OH, scaarrry. Nephi so sad! Say sorry. All better. Kisses and hugs! Yay!"
Lovely. It's adorable watching him grow up. For Christmas, santa will probably bring him a huge poster of Nephi, to go along side his temple pictures. Along with Legos and a rocket ship (which, I have NO idea where that came from. But he wants a rocket ship) And I'm hoping he's still into Nephi by next halloween, because THAT would seriously be so great.
And Ali gets cuter by the minute. She hates any item of clothing on her body, and is really good at taking her socks and bows out. Actually, Mitchell doesn't really like wearing clothes either. So, don't come over without calling first, because there are no guarantees.
Ali's turned into a full fledged daddy's girl. She LOVES him. And Mikes the only one that can get her to laugh really loud, which is cute. And Mike eats it up. It's really fun. She also loves pulling Mitchell's hair, which is annoying and hilarious to Mitchell, depending on his mood. She has such a funny personality.
Anyway, I don't have any pictures because I threw away my camera cord and my mac doesn't have an sd card slot, so I have to put them on mike's computer and email them to myself. And I don't feel good, so that's just not happening.
2 comments:
wow meagan i LOVE your blog! Mitch is so cute!!
Pictures meags. Pictures and why did we throw camera cord away?
Post a Comment