Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Halloweeeeeeen

Let me paint the scene.
Also, I pressed this fabric I swear.

Every year, I think of the most amazing costumes ever, not that I'm biased and/or humble, and either Mike and his manhood shut it down, or I get lazy, and we end up buying a costume that doesn't fit or we just work with what is already in the closet.

Now, this year, Mitchell decides he loves shapes.  And when I asked him what he wanted to be (as I've been asking him every year), I finally understood the jabber as he exclaimed "A CIRCLE!"

Oh great.  A circle.  how original.
Note: After searching the entire state for white leggings that I needed for her birthday, I remember my sister-in-law gave her some last Christmas, in a 12 month size- so they would fit her... oh, about now.  Not joking.  Please, always check your closets before killing yourself.


At midnight, whist winning the internet, I decided pac-man was the most awesome circle of all time.  And Ali could be a ghost, and it would be perfect because she would follow him around everywhere.

And Mike was all "Yes.  That's a great idea" * Note: It might have been that he was only half awake since it was midnight and I woke him up because I was so excited.  (Which is what I do every time  I get a "great idea" Mike hasn't had a full night sleep in years)

So the next morning, I introduced Mitchell to pac-man and we practice saying it together.  Also, we practiced this as the answer to all those "what are you going to be for halloween?" questions strangers ask Mitchell at the grocery store.  (They always assume they are going to understand the answer.  And when they don't, they assume I understand him.  And when I don't, I feel like a failure as a mother.  So all annoying stranger-danger questions are routinely practiced before we go to the store.  And I'm only half joking)

Now that I've got my 3 year old obsessed with pac-man, I decide that this really has to happen this year and I can't be lazy about it.

So I went to joanns and bought some cheap fabric in yardage I just sort of guessed at the cutting counter.

And then I went home and let it sit on my desk for a few weeks, as is customary when I decide to make things for people for holidays.

And when I finally got around to it, I decided that my quilt hoop is a nice big circle to trace.

Of course it looked bigger than it actually was. But overall, it was fine.  Halloween costumes are something I don't really care about.  Ali's dress was held together by a safety pin.

Mitchell had a preschool party, and he gave out bouncy balls- yet another circle.

And on Halloween, the four of us ate a bunch of chili and doughnuts and ventured out to the neighborhood where Mitchell got loaded because "Trick or Treat! Thank you! Happy Halloween! I'll come back!" are adorable coming from a 3 year old dressed up as pac-man.  Of course, 90 mins or so into this adventure, instead of saying "trick or treat" Mitchell said "I need to go potty." and tried to walk up the stairs and find the bathroom himself.   Oh, nice.  Now, these people are in our ward, but we had no idea who was at the door or I probably would have been that "Can he use the bathroom?" mom.  But instead, I took Ali out of the stroller and put Mitchell in the stroller and Mike ran Mitchell to the park to use the bathroom.  And Ali and I tried to keep up, but Mike is really fast, or I'm in really bad shape.

And then since Mitchell didn't want the night to end, we walked around the apartment complex, which, apparently didn't get any kids, so Mitchell got huge handfuls.  *sigh*

And then we went home, and went to bed.

2 comments:

Kara Anderson said...

A circle! That's awesome. What a funny little boy :)

Auntie Em said...

give me his candy!! I will eat it all gone...why are you complaining/ "signing" more for you right?