Sunday, October 9, 2011

Goo-Goo Turns One

Which is pretty exciting for most people.  I, though, basically sobbed for an entire week prior.  BUT. I held myself together on the actual day.  Which, I think is the first time I did not cry on a birthday.  Except Mike's birthday, since I never cry on his birthday.  I think it's funny he's getting sooo ooooold.  haha.

Anyway.  This year went by far too fast.  Mike keeps showing me pictures of Mitchell when he was Ali's age, and it's freaking me out.  They have to stop growing up, or I might die.  I'm already getting gray hairs, and I'm only 24.  What's worse than that, is that I keep putting off my long overdue hair cut because I told myself I needed to get it colored "the next time" and well.....I don't want to start coloring my hair on a regular basis.  Just to hide the grays! This is ridiculous! And I look ridiculous because my hair is a dead color of brown and I'm being stubborn about something that's not going to get any better.  Unless I dye it.  But that's not really better, is it?

So I told Mitchell to stop growing up and he patted me on the head and said "okay".  That's wonderful, Mitch, thank you.  Can you try your green beans? "NO DINNER TODAY!"

Fine.

Anyway.  So Mitchell was really excited about Ali's upcoming birthday, and spent the 2 weeks or so prior singing, "happy birthday to goo-goo" all day.  and night.  It was pretty funny.  We did our tradition of balloons tied on all of our kitchen chairs, and Mitchell woke up very pleased.  Pleased enough to wake his sister up, and show her himself.  He's so flipping adorable to her, I can hardly stand it.

We made homemade pop tarts for breakfast and they were disgusting.  I don't recommend it.  Pinterest suggested pie crusts and jam.  I thought it sounded okay. No.  Just no.  Never again.

I stayed up till 1am finishing a dress and baby doll, and I have no idea why I kid myself into thinking I am capable of sewing.  I'm totally a wreck. And I always end up at my mothers.  And end up driving her insane by my threats of giving completely up and/or throwing things against the wall.  She keeps telling me I'm a perfectionist.  To which I laugh.  And then remind her of my non-exsistant housewife skills. Seriously.

So, I've come to realize that the Easter dress I made her last spring, was my fault.  Simplicity does not equal simple.  I still think that's stupid, but I'm done ranting about it.

"Mom, what IS this thing?"
However, when someone actually tells me to my face that their down syndrome daughter makes these dolls, and shows pictures of her never-sewed-a-day-in-his-life son making them (those are not lies!), I tend to believe that it is a "beginner" or "Meagan approved" or "Meagan will be able to make this without her mother" project.  Um.  Lies.  All lies.  This was quite possibly the most frustrating thing I've ever made.  Ali thinks it's some kind of mutant and won't even look at it.  It had potential. And I'm fully aware that this is my problem, and that obviously some people can do it.  And the pattern was excellent.  Seriously.  I read through it beforehand like 33 million times and convinced myself it was going to be easy.  It was pretty tricky.  And that's fine.  I think I prefer shopping in cute doll shops anyway.

*sigh* I'm over it.  I'm going to stick to making "simple" (not simplicity) dresses and drawing pictures and pretend to know exactly what I'm talking about.  Even though I have no idea.  No idea. I do plan on figuring out some kind of clothing for the mutant baby doll to wear, since the gown I made her at 4 in the morning, washed out her skin color, and it sort of really does look like a mutant.

And the dress took 2.5 seconds to make, and I think I like those kind of sewing projects. If I ever sew again. Which, at this point, is not likely.


So Ali and Mitchell and I played all day long.  They were in the best mood, which is not really unusual.  I'm pretty lucky to have such awesome kids.

I decided this year to try to make a fondant cake.  So I found a marshmallow fondant recipe and got all the stuff for it.  And then, being caught up in all these projects, didn't put a lot more thought into it.

That's not a joke either.  So I made the fondant, and covered the cake.  Thinking, at this point, this was a really good decision, because the top layer of my cake was falling in crumbles, so the fondant, literally, held the dang thing together.  After all these sewing fails the night before, this made me kind of giddy.

Except that, I had no thought whatsoever what to do at that point.

Uhhhh.  I didn't even dye it! It was just white!

Kind of hilariously, I dyed some scraps of fondant pink and found some old gel decorating whatever in green and made some flowers.  Sort of.  The stems looked weird so I tried to wipe it off and start over, but it looked even more weird, so I just.....did it.  Emma came in and excitedly exclaimed I did the graffiti style.  Awesome.  I'm even legit.

So the cake, obviously, looked ridiculous too! I decided all these major fails kept me laughing all day, instead of dwelling on the fact I no longer had a baby.

Oh, and also, the dress I made her was pretty short, and I spent a week and a half trying to find white leggings that do not exist in the state of Utah.  Which is sort of funny, because everyone and their dog wears leggings.  So I did end up making some white leg warmers that were kind of funny.  That Mike really really detests.  I think they're cute!

Basically, here's the cliff note version of this post:

1. Birthday breakfast: Fail
2. Birthday cake: Fail
3. Birthday doll: Fail
4. Birthday dress: Debatable
5. Birthday brother: The best
6. Overall score: Mom didn't cry!

We had a party later that night, which was a lot of fun.  We had my family over and Mike's step sister and her cute family over.  My mom made her the most adorable sweater and hat I have ever seen in my entire life.  So cute, every time I put it on her I take a million pictures.  Mike's family got Ali a stroller and darling, darling, baby doll that Ali adores.  And I mean adores.  She sleeps with it, and will not let it out of her sight.  And forbids Mitchell from touching it.  And she seems like she finally understands what the stroller actually does but still insists on removing the baby doll from the stroller.  Angie and Amy both got Ali new clothes, which are always needed.  And we got her some other little fun toys that Mitchell still thinks are his.

And she's walking now.  Almost everywhere.  And she talks a lot.  Not that we can understand her, but she babbles constantly.  It's really funny.

Still cannot believe the child is a year already.  Where does time go?

Mitchell has gone from talking a little to FULL ON NON STOP COMPLETE SENTENCES IN THIS YELLING VOICE.

Seriously.  And it's so funny.  But he gets mad when you laugh at him, so Mike and I do this weird smirk thing to each other.  Mitchell has opinions about everything.  He calls all of his stuffed animals his "friends" as in "NO! IT'S MINE FRIENDS!" and insists on sleeping with all 15 of them every night.  And will not rest until every last one of them is tucked away safely in his arms.

He's also really dramatic.  "I SOOO HUNGRY! MAMA! HUNGRY! I SOOOO HUNGRY!!!!"

"Do you want some oatmeal?"
"no."
"A sandwitch?"
"no"
"Yogurt?"
"no..... Juice?"
"Juice? Are you thirsty?"
"I HUNGRY FOR JUICE!"

I'm just happy they play together, pretty well.  There is bound to be fighting, sobs, tears, and bloodshed, but the two of them do really well for the most part.  It is so fun watching them play nicely together.  Mitchell loves showing Ali how to do things (like, climb on the couch, open the toilet, scream for joy, and poke eyeballs) and Ali follows Mitchell around everywhere.  She's like his little shadow, and has this lost look on her face when she can't find him.  He still climbs in her crib, but now I find him reading to her instead of trying to bounce her out, which is good.



And last but not least, the halloween candy I bought last week is gone! And 2 pounds have been added to my stomach. I do this every year.  Next year, someone remind me that buying candy early is not a good idea.  Especially since no one living here has any sort of self control, apparently.

8 comments:

Grandma said...

Meagan, you should write a column. Love the cake, the dress and the cake.

Tara said...

You certainly can paint the picture! That sounds just like my life - only I don't like to admit to all the bad parts. Cute cake, cute dress. Happy birthday to Ali!

Madee said...

haha well my pictures are better then yours but still ali is the cutest/happiest little girl ever!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know who's cuter the baby girl on the couch or her dad

Jessica said...

It looks like it was a fun day and party. Despite the bad parts. The dress is adorable on her and I actually really liked the cake. :)
Happy Birthday Ali!

Unknown said...

ohh you guys are cute

Emma Buhler said...

What are you doing blogging at 11 at night!!!:)

Unknown said...

@emma: Blogging. Obbbbviously.