
I'd like to apologize for falling off the face of the earth for over a month. Life happens. I'm sure you all missed us deeply.
Anyway.... Mitch turned one!!! AH! Can you believe it's been a year?! I don't think I'm old enough for this. Like most my days, however and unfortunately so, nothing goes according to plan or accommodates smoothness. Life happens.
We started off the day letting Mitch opening gifts from the greats. A book from great-omi (he loved it) and a dollar and card from my grandma (which he did try to eat, but, it's safely in his scrapbook now)

Then Mitch and I played for awhile, and he fell asleep before he ate breakfast (it was a long night (he was excited I think) and dad woke him up early (Mike was also excited. We're just all so excited) needless to say, Mitch was rather docile. And because it was his birthday, I just let him do whatever he wanted to do. So, he napped before breakfast. Don't judge me. I have no idea why I'm even trying to explain myself here)So, during his nap I started baking cakes. I made a double-batch of a nice box cake, because of food coloring- I think. Anyway, that double-batch made 2 very large 9 inch rounds. Then, because I was thinking Mitch was going to smash at least half of that, and to be on the safe side, I made a carrot cake as well.

Except I ran out of oil, added too many mandarin oranges "oh there's only one can? crap. Maybe the extra juice from the oranges will make up the last 1/3 cup of oil I'm missing" Don't ask me why I think this way. I baked this cake, and then tried a little corner, it was not good. So off in the garbage in went.

Then, Mitch woke up and I made him pancakes (It is his birthday, I thought this would be a nice change from luke-warm baby oatmeal) except that I was out of oil. And so improvised with olive oil. For the record, this does not work. Mitch ate it, but....that's because he has luke-warm baby oatmeal every morning.Then I contemplated walking Mitch to the store for oil, but, I didn't have a stroller.
So we played for most of the afternoon, with spurts of cake decorating, here and there.
Mike came home early, which was nice, except I sent him to the store about 50 times. Once for oil, then mandarin oranges, then balloons (ours died around 5pm, that's what you get for buying balloons the day before.), then a birthday hat, then back to return the fish I freaked out about. Sorry about that Mike, by the way. What's funny is that I forwent (is that a word?) the carrot cake. Ha. I don't know how Mike puts up with me, I'm not even pregnant.

Dinner was rushed. I quickly made some stir fry and shoved it in my face and Mitchells. Mike momentarily disappeared. Or maybe he was at the store. The vegetables tasted almost horrible (my cooking, I just don't understand) they were supposed to be steamed microwave style (yes, I am that lazy) but our microwave broke (Sunday night it lit up in flames, actually flames were dripping from the top of the ceiling, and it wasn't even on- apparently the microwave had been recalled in 2005. I thought these were all new appliances, but hey, whatever. Recalled microwaves do the trick till they blow up in your face.)

Anyway, so for some reason we declared the party at 6:30 which proved to be a ridiculous time as I was vacuuming when the door knocked. Lovely.
But the party was fun. Mitch got lots of cool toys that he hasn't stopped playing with since last night.


And he was really confused by the whole cake thing. I had a video of him smashing the cake all over, but deleted it on accident. It was just one of those days. Mitch loved the cake, obviously, and was up till 10 pm screaming and throwing his face into the couch over and over and over again. Life's grand when you're one.I can't believe he's so big!!! I made a video with all the pictures from his whoooolllle life, but since I take way too many pictures, and he's extremely photogenic, it turned out to be 15 mins long. Too long for the blog. I guess I'll just burn it on some dvd's a ship it out to his grandparents.
Happy Birthday Mitchell Boyd!
6 comments:
You're absolutely right we should have kept stud his new fish that I had bought him. I even had him named. rahude. I am stll contemplating returning and buying stud again. Mitch's bday was great thanks to all those that participated. Mitch is a big boy and a stud like his father. Lucky guy.
Oh. Love the cake - so clever!
Happy Birthday Mitchell! What a day in the life of the Taylor's! Loved the cake. You are getting good at decorating, Meags!
I agree Mike, go get the fish...really Meags...it is just a fish. Love you all.
I love the cake! So cute, Meagan. And I love post-cake quasi-inebriated 1-yr-olds and how they can't figure out, nor do they care, why they can't stop moving, giggling, screaming, and running into things. Good times. Happy Birthday Mitchell!
Happy Birthday Mitchell! I think you are a great mom Meagan. Life doesn't always go the way we want it to. But that's okay. Great job on the cake.
Post a Comment