Monday, February 2, 2009

This Blog Is Too Great to Have a Title


Mitch is screaming. Is he hungry? Is he teething? I really have no idea. All I know, is that I tried everything to calm him down and nothing would suffice. So I opened up my cupboard and found teething crackers, previously purchased by the best husband ever.

Hm... teething crackers.... who knew such a thing existed? My first thought was to call the poor pediatrician, who definitely thinks I'm either incompetent, or crazy, hmmmm... okay, or both. I refrained from calling because I knew how the conversation would go. (yes, that's how many times I've called)

"Upper Valley Pediatrics, this is Sue, how can I help you?"
"Hi, can I speak to the nurse?"
"Child's date of birth please."
"7/16/08"
"Child's name"
"Mitchell Taylor"
"Mother's name"
"Kristi Jo... er...Meagan, yeah.... Meagan Taylor"
"What's your question?"
"Can I .... feed.... my baby...er...teething crackers?"
"*smirk* One moment please...."
At this point I realize how completely stupid I sound, and momentarily think to hang up. But wait, they already have my name and phone number, and probably social security number. So, inevitably, I'd stay on the line.......
"This is Linda, I hear you are wondering about....teething crackers?"
"...yes?"
From here, two things can happen.
A: She says, "The American Association of Pediatrics recommends waiting till the child reaches the age of 9 months, is sitting unsupported, and is basically an adult before starting crackers. But if you'd like to poison your child, it is up to you"
or B: She says, "You mean the crackers made out of powdered milk and rice? I think that would be fine as long as he has not shown any allergies to either of these products.... does that answer your question?"
And then I would fret all day long about how I'm becoming one of "those mothers." The overprotected, underestimated, crazy, and have-no-problem-forcing-my-parenting-beliefs-on-to-stupid-people-like-yourself, mothers. Dear me. Couldn't let that happen. So I thought for a brief moment amongst the wails of Mitchell Boyd.





And handed him a cracker.




The crying instantly stopped. And he loved it. Ate it- by himself- (who knew???) in about 3.5 seconds. And then looked up at me and gave me the "You're the best mom ever" look. (oh, and Mike, it definitely was not the "I only love you because you feed me look" so don't even start....)


So I am here to declare! I, Meagan Buhler Taylor, made my first parenting decision all by myself. Thank you, thank you very much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's a good thing I listened to the mother at Winco because she told me that her baby loved the teething crackers too. I love you babe!

Grandma said...

Nice going Meagan! You have all the right stuff to be the best mother ever and hey, look at your grandmother. . . she went from knowing nothing to knowing everything! Whoopee!

Christopher Leach said...

Do teething crackers taste good? I might get some!