…...I really don't understand it either.
And for what it's worth, the whole "life isn't fair" talk isn't something I'm super great at, and I'm a huge pushover, but mostly, Ali's found a way to request basically anything in the most adorable way while simultaneously phrasing things in a way that I can't even say "no" too. I don't know. There's a reason we ended up buying 2 complete dance outfits, but I can't remember that reason.
![]() |
| Dance Outfit #2. Not the favorite because the pink is lacking and it doesn't have a "beautifully twirly skirt" Why did we even buy it, you ask? NO IDEA |
"I thought you wanted to be Elsa"
"Tangled is my favorite"
"I thought Frozen was your favorite"
"Frozen is my other favorite. I LOVE TANGLED. I BE TANGLED! YAY!"
Oh for the love. Fine. One down, one to go.
Mitchell, on the other hand, is the most indecisive kid ever.
"Harry Potter."
"….You don't know who Harry Potter is"
"YES I DO. He's that kid with the glasses and the sword"
"Yeah, that's a wand, and you just proved my point"
"WE HAVE HARRY POTTER BOOKS MOM"
"Yeah, I know that. *I* know who Harry Potter is. Who do you think he is?"
"Oh he's a kid with glasses and a cool sword or….wand? Yeah. But he does cool things right?"
"Fine, fine. I'll figure out a Harry Potter costume"
And that was the plan for a solid month. Then, this conversation happened
"Yeah? Like what?"
"Um, does Harry Potter have a bad guy?"
What is happening? How is it possible to have an obsession with Harry Potter and know *literally* nothing about it?
"Yeah, Harry Potter has a bad guy. His name is Voldemort"
"Is Voldemort scary?"
"So scary"
"Can I be Voldemort for Halloween?"
"….can I cut off your nose and get you red contacts? How does a Voldemort costume even happen?"
And then again, a few days later, Mitchell spots a mummy window sticker
"I HAVE AN IDEA. I WILL BE A MUMMY FOR HALLOWEEN"
"MAKE UP YOUR FREAKING MIND"
And then we went to Target and #batman. No really, it happened just like that.
"Mom. Where is the yellow belt? No one will know I'm batman unless I have the yellow belt"
Mike: "He's right. The yellow belt is essential"
Um. Do you not think the bat mask and bat symbol will give it away that you're batman?
So I promised the kid I'd make him a yellow belt and then proceeded to promptly forget about it 2.5 seconds later.
Until the morning of Oct. 31.
"MOM. Where's that yellow belt you said you'd make me?"
Are you kidding? We're going to do this today?
![]() |
| Spoiler: Yes, yes we are. |
Yeah, so it's like 45 mins until school starts and I'm frantically searching for yellow (non floral) fabric for this child who is at a near melt down because YOU CAN'T BE BATMAN WITHOUT A YELLOW BELT
Luckily I had some black and gold felt and mad skillz that make me capable of slapping together the most ridiculous looking belt ever, that did not match the rest of the costume, but did in fact make batman batman, so all was well in this 6 year old's life.
And then he was off to school, and Ali and I travelled all around town in her little dress sans wig, gathering the traditional donuts, and groceries, and getting stopped by virtually everyone because even though I've perfected my "don't talk to me" pregnant hormone face, Ali loves talking to strangers and giving them all kinds of personal information. Super fun.
I sent Mike off by himself to trick or treat with the kids and made him promise he'd take them for a solid hour because Mike is usually done in 15 mins and I am pregnant and did not want to walk all over everywhere so he took pity on me.
I stayed home with Daisy the dog who has a barking fit of rage every time the neighbor steps outside (or a car drives by, or anyone comes anywhere near our driveway, or the neighbors driveway). And since the new neighbors are really "into" Halloween, they spent the good part of the day dressing their yard up in gravestones and spider webs, Daisy almost lost her voice, and by that point I didn't think that was the worst option.
And then Halloween- with the doorbells and the knocking and the neighbors flashing lights, I just put Daisy in Mitchell's room and let her bark her little heart out. And she did not lose her voice and I'm not even sure how that is even possible. It was out of control.
The kids came home and emptied their loot out and traded all their twislers for my candy. Apparently, they both think it's the worst kind ever. So funny. And then they took over the door duty, which I was so happy about. And then the trick or treating died down and I somehow ended up at TJmax with a friend buying frozen nonsense for my daughter, for christmas #tistheseason, which is stupid because I'm SO over frozen, but Ali loves it. And I comply.
Mitchell came home one day talking non stop about Beethoven. I thought it was funny and pretty cute so I gave him an old classical music CD. That was a mistake. It's been Beethoven's 5th on repeat FOR DAYS. (Mitchell pretends to lead the orchestra, and Ali dances. They also sing the tune with the words "Beethovens wig" - No idea. They think the song is actually called Beethoven's Wig. The other one they like is Moonlight Sonata. But apparently that's only for nighttime. So we have Beethoven playing here constantly.)
Mitchell asked me "Can Uncle Thom play Beethoven?"
"I'm sure he can"
"Text him and ask him"
"Yep. He just texted back that he has some Beethoven sonata music but he can get Beethoven's 5th and play it"
"Awesome! I'm going to have him play it for me! And then maybe he can teach me! I can't believe he can play Beethoven! That is so cool! Uncle Thom is the best!"
"Um, *I* can actually play Beethoven too"
"On the piano though?"
"No, but technically Beethoven's 5th is a symphony, so it was written for the violin and a bunch of other instruments before it was abridged into piano music"
"…...I only like it on the piano"
Oh great. Uncle Thom can be the cool one, playing Beethoven like all the cool kids, fiiiine
Meanwhile, Mike is convinced this is all some elaborate scheme by me to get him off the wrestling/football wagon and into "my court" LOL. I *wish* I would have thought of that earlier, but no, this is all on him. Plus what 6 year old listens to classical
And Baby #3 is a little girl! We are over the moon excited and scared out of our minds. Another girl like Ali wandering around will be adorable but I guess my make up will disappear twice as fast. Not sure where everyone is sleeping yet, or any idea what we'll call her, but Ali is so so excited to have a little baby sister. She's decided she'll be Elsa next year for Halloween because she'll have a sister who can be Anna. She doesn't forget, so this actually will probably happen. She kisses my belly every morning and night and periodically throughout the day. Pretty sure this babe will recognize Ali's voice before mine. Sisters are the best though, and girl clothes are more fun to buy…..
More pink all around!








2 comments:
Adorable. I say we keep them both!
They are soon cool! I think you should have a dozen or more.
Post a Comment