Friday, February 15, 2013

V-day.

Mitchell's backpack is a mess.  His backpack I made him 2 years ago, was awesome, then after going to school for a year, it was stained in the front from a juice spill and worn-out, but still functional.

So I needed to make him another for the start of this school year.  Or buy him one, but backpacks are huge.  Around this time a fabric company wanted us to do a tutorial of something on their blog.  With school fabric.  I wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. 

And I did.

Except I really don't like the backpack I designed.  Plus it ripped after a few months, because the straps weren't adjustable or long enough to fit over his winter coat.

It was a frustrating battle for Mitchell, who, for whatever reason, loved this backpack, but the other one was much more functional and more comfortable.

So, someone gifted us the Lion King DVD for Christmas, that came with a "free gift" drawstring bag - basically the same concept as the first backpack, except made for an adult.  Mitchell loved it.  And at the start of another track, which was Tuesday, Mitchell decided the Lion King adult drawstring bag was the solution to his crisis.  It wouldn't even stay on the kid, but he insisted, so we tied some knots and off he went.  When we got out of the car, he said, "Mom, we should make an orange backpack for me." 

*sigh* It's cute he thinks I can make him things, but honestly, backpack making isn't really a thing, is it?  The first "backpack" I made was really just for fun, and then when I forgot to find a smaller backpack the night before his first day of school, it was just.... convenient.  And he loves it.  I don't know.

And during all of this, Ali says "Where's my backpack?"  And when Aunt Cheri sent her some dress-ups in a ballet-themed duffel bag, Ali decided this was it.  Of course, as a duffel, she has a really interesting way of wearing it like a backpack, but she manages.  She insists on wearing it when we drive Mitchell the 2.5 feet to school.  I tried to give her a little tiny purse to wear like me, but no.  That didn't last long enough.  Which was sad, because she looks so cute with her "princess hair" and purple shoes, and a little purse. Part of her problem was the purse could really only hold some change and a fruit snack, and she wanted to pack like she'd be climbing Mount Everest at any moment.

Ali's "Princess Hair" she just loves demanding.
So after school we went to Pine Needles.  Which my kids love, because we always buy lolly pops if they're good.  And they're always good because Pine Needles has toys to play with.  And when we got to Pine Needles, there was a sign on the door "Closed Saturday and Monday.  Tuesday we open across from Archibalds at our new place"  

It was Tuesday.  I do this all the time.  Go places for reasons unrelated to their "big day" and end up fighting crowds I didn't want to fight.  

Of course, the children couldn't read, and were glancing in the windows "It's gone!" says Mitchell.  "it's utterly destroyed and never-ever coming back" screamed Ali, through her mighty crocodile tears.

It's on the other side of this mock village, children.  And we're driving, because it's cold. And when we're done, and if you're good and do not cry over fabric, I will buy you your 75 cent lolly pops.

Goodness.

And Pine Needles is the cutest store ever that exploded and became my huge, wonderful, cutest store ever.  And instead of a corner for children, they have a room. With a little day bed and children's clothes and toys to play with.  Ali promptly climbed on the bed, and Mitchell pretended to serve her breakfast (or lunch, or dinner.  The girl loves Mitchell to wait on her) and the employees said "they are the cutest thing I've ever seen" yes, except for the meltdowns they had when they thought you were MIA forever.

The toys for the children allow me to do stupid things like wander around and convince myself that A. one or both children need *that* and B. I'll totally have time to do it. and C. I totally will want to do it. and D. I will not screw it up and ban sewing for life. (happens every time).

So, I bought a princess panel and some fabric to make some princess cloth paper doll thing that they were out of the pattern for.  "I can figure this out", said I, to myself, in a rare moment of creative self confidence. 

And then some orange fabric for the boy child and some girly fabric for the girl child and x amount of dollars later (my husband reads this, ha) I was ready for some lollys.  And ready to go to the other, cheaper, fabric store by my house to get some interfacing and also *guess* the supplies I needed for the princess paper thing.  (and just in case you're having a hard time visualizing "princess paper doll cloth thing" (which would be weird- I'm being so descriptive,)  is found here.  And the pattern I wanted and have convinced myself I don't even need, and will probably regret not owning is here. and bonus side note: I have never seen so much fusible products needed for one thing in my life and did guess right on one thing, but would have never guessed all of it.  and I bought way too much fabric for the bag.  fun.)

Backpacks were the necessity, though I am, probably stupidly, looking forward to "creating", or giving into the 9 dollar pattern I'll only use once (which is saying something, because our patterns are a lot more than 9 dollars) 


So I made Mitchell's backpack first, with the same tutorial I used 2 years ago.  And then I made one for Ali. And then instead of waiting for Valentines Day, I gifted them to the children a day early. Which is *exactly* what happened 2 years ago on Valentines Day, so this is like premeditated deja vu.

And then, Wednesday, the 13th, I realized Mitchell didn't have class valentines.  Which is hilarious.  Because I helped my mom with valentines for her grandchildren (including the valentines from grandma to my kids, which was weird) which then turned into helping my grandma with valentines for her grandchildren (and my name wasn't even on the list of grandchildren! What is this world coming to!) and then I sent my aunt 1503934 ideas for her kid's class valentines.  And even noted "this is what I am probably doing for Mitchell" on one link. Because in my head, things just *happen* and I do not think about time nor do I have great time management skills.

So.  I opened adobe illustrator, my new BFF, and designed some black and white (read: cheap to print) vday cards for Mitchell's class.  I could have bought a box, yes. But did you know, they're 4 dollars now?? AND they don't have envelopes, so putting candy with them doesn't happen or you have to find other ways and it's so annoying (I know this, because this happened last year.  I do not learn from history, obviously).  And since I've been using illustrator all the time for 3 years now, or something crazy, I'm getting really fast, and pretty good (if I do say so myself).

So we printed "Valentine, you color my world" cards, black and white, bought a 50 cent box of crayons (cheaper than candy!) and smash taped some crayons on the suckers (er, paper).  He only needed 9, so this was a 2 dollar project (woot!) and cute and not sugary and perfect for preschoolers (yes?) I was pretty impressed with myself.   And Mitchell was impressed, "Bennett and Hannah are going to love this!"  I hope so, dude.


Meanwhile, I decided to try the "come over unannounced.....with cookies so they don't hate you" approach to visiting teaching rather than my usual "call a half million times and leave ridiculous messages that make me sound like a moron" approach.  

So we baked v-day cookies on v-day, then decorated and attempted delivery the day after, and so maybe tomorrow.  Yes, they're valentine cookies, and no, Valentine's Day is officially over, but I've been their visiting teacher since November, so no one's really counting anymore.  "You can just leave a note on the door" says the supervisor, "I know you're really busy" hahah.  except I'm really not that busy......  is it the thought that counts even if they never knew there was a thought to begin with? I've got to nail my life together.

My mother made Ali the cutest cowl I've ever seen.  We were talking about knitting one time (which, wow, typing that sounds.....so lame), but nevertheless, we were.  And I told her I found *the cutest* cowl for a toddler and the next thing I know she's knitting away, half way done, and in like a week Ali was strutting the town with this beauty:

Ali realized the versatility of said cowl.
Mitchell loves playing pretend.  And he loves pretending to be the bad guys. I have no idea why.  I think it's a little strange, but I can't say I don't like Captain Hook, because who doesn't like Captain Hook.  Plus then I can be the Tick Tock Croc and eat him up :)

He broke a hanger for this look.  Also, I wasn't lying when I said he loves his (failed, basically) designed-by-mom backpack.

He had that mad "bad guy" face on and I told him bad guys made me sad, that he should be a good guy.  Mitchell came over, gave me a big hug, and whispered in my ear, "shhhhh.  Mom.  I'm Nephi pretending to be Laban! I need to get the plates!"

Really? And here I was thinking FHE went completely over your head.  He's the kid who pretends to be Nephi pretending to be Laban.  What do you even say to that? I have no idea how to be a parent.  Like ever.  "okay. well.  even when Nephi was Laban he was not mean and he didn't yell or hurt anyone.  Except Laban.  yep."  Don't get me started on him threatening to throw Ali in the fire when he was pretending to be King Noah.  "King Noah is thrown in the fire too! Did you miss that part? Stop confusing my parenting processing!" 

We talked about King Benjamin last week, if anyone is wondering.  And sadly, he has no intention of pretending to be him.  I did try Ammon once, too.  Cutting off arms of the sheep robbers. I don't think it sunk in because the lego people's arms don't come off.

*sigh* I'm sure he'll grow out of it.  And I'll probably miss his threats of death by fire, lion's den, and all manner of biblical threats, deaths, and punishments.  At this point, I'm just going to tag this post "things to say at Mitchell's wedding".  Because, seriously, this is gold.
And took the plunge and have hair-dying appointments every six weeks with my aunt.  who does hair.  I  really love not being gray at 25. 
And note: For more awesome, I just published my Christmas post.  I thought I hit "publish" like a month ago.  So, if you're not sick of me yet, hit "older posts"

5 comments:

Emma said...

Meags, backpacks turned out sssooo cute! You're such a good mom, funny that Mitchell loves Nephi so much!

sara said...

Cute backpacks and princess hair. Love, love the Valentine's ideas! Very creative and mostly just fabulous. I hope you don't mind if I borrow the idea next year. :)

Wesley said...

Great backpacks! I don't know if I would have sewn them but they look great! It's so fun to see Mitchell's imagination about the scriptures. At least you know he's listening, right? I so wish I could have been there at Pine Needles with you. I've heard the new store is Amazing!

Wesley said...

Opps! This is Jessica, I didn't realize I was signed in as Wes. lol

Grandma said...

Hilarious. Your posts always make me laugh and yes, you did help me make valentines for the Other grandchildren. Thank you, thank you very much. You made me look like an awesome grandma. Love the backpacks. You are a great Mom.