But when Mitchell started Pre-K for year 2 last week, I realized just how inseparable Ali and Mitchell are.
The school called Wednesday, to tell me school starts Thursday (oh, thank you for the heads up), but she can't get the bus to our house in time. Hold the phone, he's not riding the bus. Apparently, we had all the paperwork filled out to be bus-riding for some reason, so I was glad they called and we could all confirm that
Anyway, we arrive 20 mins before school starts to meet the teacher because I'm not really sure if this really *is* the first day of school, because when I called the beginning of August to move records/register I was not aware that our elementary is on a year round schedule and half of the ward started 2 weeks earlier. And for those 2 weeks I felt like the worlds worst mother, but actually all this worrying was for nothing, because his first day, was actually the first day. phew.
Not so. This is the real deal. He's across from 4th grade. I maybe almost panicked. 4th graders are scary.
But his teacher is nice. We found his name on the door, and his little hook for his backpack. We talked about favorite colors and Mitchell picked his desk. He was happy they had a play kitchen and railroads.
And then we said goodbye and Ali bursted into tears. Mitchell gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek and Ali would not let go of his neck so Mitch said, "goo goo baby. I be home soon. You play with mommy! yeah? okay? You can play with my new blocks (magnetically awesome blocks. seriously, we love aunt cheri) with mommy!" no dice. she still sobbed. so then, he drops this beast "Ali! We go to sonic when I get home! yeah!!! We go to sonic and you get chocolate milk and I share my sprite with you!!!"
duuuuuude. You are not old enough to make such promises. but then Ali sucked up her tears and waved a pathetic "bye-bye" so yes. we went to sonic. And the one by my house is closed so we had to drive a short distance to get there. Like anyone could break a 4 year old's promise to his 2 year old sister.
And you'd think this whole sob thing would get better but it's not. She didn't even want him to put his backpack on this morning. It's going to be okay! Am I really that horrible? I promise you, she doesn't even do this when *I* leave, or *dad*. The only person that comes close is grandma, but even then, it's not this uncontrollable. And grandma can get her to leave tear-less with some m&m's or popcorn (my car hates this). I'm seriously debating just handing Mitchell some m&m's to give to Ali because this is killing me. But he's four and he'd probably start promising her sonic *too* and my kids are already so sugar high all the time.
Today, when we dropped Mitchell off, Ali was still her usual, overdramatic, crocodile tears self, but then when we got home, I unbuckled her and she tried to re-buckle herself, saying "Mitchell! *sob* Get Mitchell come! *sob* Shoes! *sob* get buckled! *sob* get mitchell! *sob*" seriously the saddest thing ever and she was SO MAD at me the entire 2 hours he was gone. I'm just....hoping it gets better. I've never seen anything like this.
On the upside, Ali is beyond ecstatic when we (finally!) pick him up, she can hardly contain herself and laughs uncontrollably. I can barely keep her in my arms so when we get to the sidewalk I let her loose and they run to each other like they're in some romantic comedy. The only thing missing is the rain. And Mitchell's holding watercolor paintings and a backpack, instead of red roses. Well, and then the minor fact that they're siblings, not passionate lovers.
His teacher said, "I told everyone to put their backpacks on and get ready to go home, and Mitchell said, 'oh. I just love going home!' " That's ..... adorable. And so weird! YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO BE FIIIINE.
Just wait till Mitchell starts T-Ball next month. Or Kindergarten next year. Or a mission in 15. Really fun!
In all seriousness, I'm so so so glad they are *such* good friends. Not only does it make my life 1000x easier (well, unless they're teaming up against me destroying things. Since Mitchell rarely "tattles" on Ali, when she decides to color the wall blue he joins in) it is the sweetest thing to watch. I hope they stay this close forever. Well, the gist of it anyway. It'd be weird if they ran to each other hugging and kissing when they are teenagers.







2 comments:
Cute, cute that they are so close. My brother and I were never like that...I always tagged along after him and he didn't want anything to do with me cuz I was a girl. I just perfected the best ways get him in trouble after a while. Glad, for your sanity, that Ali doesn't have to do that:)
And 4th graders aren't always that scary...at least girls...except when you tell them to clean their room.
Wow! You are doing something right to have them be so close. Mitch is the cutest ever promising Ali Sonic. Now all he needs is a job. Perfect!
Post a Comment