Friday, May 6, 2011

I have all these Easter Pictures....

Little boys are so great. Raising Mitchell seems to be getting easier and more fun as he grows up. Though, I do have a love/hate relationship with watching both children grow up.

Shopping for boy clothes is 10x better than shopping for girl clothes. I don't know why I'm like this. I guess I just don't like most frilly girl things, and I hate the color lavendar. And those twill skirts and gerber daisy flowers. I don't understand them. This knocks out a good 75% of the baby girl clothes market.

However, having a girl has brought out my sewing side, which was bound to rear it's head eventually, since I have generations of women before me sewing their hearts out. I remember being 10-11 years old, in Thimbles and Threads with my mother. And the lady asked my mom, "does she quilt?" and my mom said, "she knows how, but no, not really" I smiled, and the lady said, "don't worry. The sewing bug will catch her eventually" and thought, "oh heck no! sewing is for old people!" sigh. I guess I'm old now.
Holiday's with a little girl apparently make me act like a crazy person. I decided, again, to make a dress for Ali. Again, because it seems every holiday I will make some sort of something for at least one child. That isn't always completed, but I'm trying.
So, my faithful Joanns coupons came in the mail, and they were having a sale on Simplicity Patterns for a dollar or something crazy. Awesome. I will go to Joanns and buy a simple Simplicity pattern and successfully sew my first dress.

This was over a month ago.
Mom and I decided at basically the last minute to go to Market. I thought it would be fun. Mom was stressed out. Eventually, I did realize that this is a very big deal, and quite a big risk, and now I'm stressed out too. We've spent every minute, it seems, of the last month getting things done, and put together, and begging people to help us. But I'm excited.

So the Thursday before Easter rolls around, I have fabric and a "simple" pattern and I cannot stop googling "international quilt market quilt booth" This, I realize, is getting me no where, because our booth is already planned out, and being created, there is no going back. In fact, all this googling is just making me feel inadequate and it doesn't really seem the creative world has room for anyone else. AHH.

After an almost meltdown or two, I get a handle on my life. Though, it was Friday morning by that point.

I decide to, finally, sit down and sew the "simple" dress.

It's Simplicity. Do they not make their money by creating simple patterns?

No. They lie.
I call my mother on step two "what the heck is a yoke? I'm sewing not baking" She offers her seamstress help (thankfully) and I drive over, thinking I'll be done in a few hours. (Hello, it's Simplicity)
No. It took the entire day. And mom took over when I got to the sleeves. Or before. I was still irratated over the whole "simple" issue. Also, Simplicity has "levels" on their pattern. It would have been wise for me to start with "easy". I still think their name is misleading.
Anyway, so Ali did in fact get a new dress for Easter. And she looked so lovely. Mitchell and Mike got new ties, and I did make those all by myself. I disregarded the "use thin interfacing" part and just used the heavy interfacing I already had on hand. Which, Mike had to tie like a thousand knots so it didn't look totally ridiculous. And they all matched Easter Sunday. Like he was even going to question the "Look honey!! I made it for you all by myself!!!!!!!!"
Saturday, we had an Easter egg hunt over at my moms. It was so fun. Mitchell was so excited to get all "the balls!!"

Sunday, we ventured out to Provo, and had Easter dinner with Mike's soon-to-be step family. Mitchell got more "balls" Also, Monster's Inc was replaced with Toy Story 3. DVR is a wonderful thing. Mitchell called Monster's Inc "RAWWWWRR" and I thought he took out the painful throat thing by "baaarrrrrzzz" but Mike figured out he was actually asking for "buzz" so cute. Perhaps there is a buzz lightyear in his birthday future.....

1 comment:

Madee said...

wow meags! love your blog, mitchell and ali look so cute in their new outfits. One question though: why does in the picture it look like ali's easter basket is bigger then mitchell's?