So, Christmas was a long time ago. And it was fun. And I did not take one single picture of Ali. Yes, I am that lame. Everything happened sooo fast! She's just too quiet.
Then, Mitchell got his first stomach flu. And it basically happened right after I told someone he had never thrown up and I was so glad. I did not knock on wood. It. was. horrible.
Then, my computer decided not to turn on one morning. Which is totally stupid, especially as it was doubling as our dvd player, since that kicked the bucket too! What is happening!?! Our warranty ended less than 6 months ago, and neither HP or best buy cared. Best buy "guessed" that it was the motherboard (and this was confirmed by a cousin-in-law) and apparently that's 800 dollars to fix. What?! Crazy lunatics. I was *this* close to convincing Mike the only thing missing in my life was a mac, and it would last forever and never die, and I would never buy anything ever again, and live off ramen noodles for eternity. But then, we can buy our own motherboard and pay said cousin installation fees for less than a quarter of 800 dollars. And 200 verses 1200 (you know, because if you're going to buy a mac, might as well make it the one you want) seemed like the most responsible thing to do. And our single new years resolution this year was to act responsibly.
But it's still not fixed, so I'm using Mike's laptop. Which isn't as cool as mine, obviously. But now I can do obnoxious things like upload all my files, and pictures, add "babycenter" as a favorite link, change the desktop settings, move all his important files all over the place, and save alllll my passwords so he has to log out of virtually everything. I've considered blocking espn just for kicks, but I'm not that savvy....yet.
Anyway, I've been thoroughly enjoying my children. I'm not one of those people that can't wait till they grow up, though I enjoy that too. I'm so content trying to figure out what Mitchell says, watching him carry my purse around everywhere, watching him consistently wear his hat sideways, and helping him put chapstick on like it's going out of style. And I'm happy watching Ali giggle at everything Mitchell does, and laughing at her when her hat falls over her eyes and she can't figure out what just happened. I wish I could freeze time for awhile, life goes by too fast.
Having said that, there are some days where I could pull my own hair out and pick up drinking.
Yesterday was one of those days. Mike's been bugging me with potty training mitchell, which is fine, he acts like he wants to be. His favorite book is "once upon a potty" He brings me diapers and wipes when he's dirty. He tells me when he's going. I mean, the signs could not be any clearer. I just am sooo amazingly skilled at giving excuses.
So after the Mike not-so-subtle nudge of "maybe you should potty train Mitchell" and my standard "why, he's fine. He's only two" and Mike's typical "he wants to be and you know it" rebuttal, and my lame "then you do it" argument, followed by "I can't successfully potty train him for an hour everyday" and finally my total lie "I'll do it this week"-- I sucked up my lack of motivation and sheer fright and put his big boy pants on.
And he was so happy. He loves his choo choo underpants.
So we sat and sat and sat and sat and sat and neither wee-wee nor poo-poo came out.
So I sighed a great and terrible sigh and set the timer for 20 mins.
And then, 2.5 seconds later, he came up to me "mama! poo." smacking his behind.
Seriously? you cannot be serious.
oh. he was serious.
So by that point the 92 minute yoga session scheduled for today was just not happening. Which didn't put me in the best mood, since I love working out. Especially since mitchell does it with me, and I love watching him run in place, do jumping jacks, and hold yoga poses. All while Ali just laughs at him.
Naptime came and I put him in his bed, shut the door, and was rocking Ali as it is typical at naptime. Seconds past, and I hear him get out of bed, I stand up, preparing for the door to open and all that jazz, but it doesn't. The light turns on. I can clearly hear toys being played with, though their isn't any sounds out of the mouth of Mitchell. And the toy box isn't being pushed over which is customary when his room is clean.
He's just chillin. Quietly playing. I really just needed a break, I figure I can't actually make him sleep, and if he isn't tired, playing quietly is really something he should learn anyhow.
60 minutes almost to the dot goes by, and he comes out of his room. I look at him, he just stares back then slowly brings his hands to his eyes and rubs them.
Manipulation at it's finest.
I just played along "how was your nap big guy??" and gave him a hug and kiss and he thinks he's soooo sneaky and hilarious.
Lunch time is always an adventure. He's getting so much better at communicating with voice. I asked him one day "what do you want for lunch" expecting "sha shacka shru" and instead got "ummmmm......crackers?" "crackers?" he started giggling and jumping in circles which is Mitchell for "yes! yes!" So we had crackers for lunch. With peanut butter and raisins. And apples. I tried once to give him a hot dog for lunch, and since they look weird and unfamiliar he wouldn't even look at it. Then, I told him Mickey Mouse looooves hot dogs and he should at least try it. "no!" "yes, mitchell, yes he does. 'hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog!" and we did the hot dog dance and he ate the hot dog. Yes, Mickey Mouse has that much influence in our home.
We went to the park, which was Ali's first time enjoying the outdoors. It was freezing, but we all were bundled up appropriately. Mitchell has a hard time leaving the park, and so I bribed him prior to the meltdown with making cookies. Which he loves to do.
He did not forget this promise, of course, and marched right to the kitchen when we got home. He totally has OCD tendencies, and must be clean always. Which is good for me, usually, because it means he won't get jelly all over his hands, then run and smother it all over the couch. This is especially nice when it's just dad in charge. Mitchell's OCD ensures no food will be smeared anywhere unless Mike does it haha.
Anyway, Mitchell loves holding the electric hand mixer, but the batch was too much for our little bowl and I accidentally lifted it out of the bowl while it was still going at high speed, and it got everywhere. On the walls, and especially all over Mitchell. The poor kid was almost in tears "Uh- OHHHH!!!" and I was trying not to laugh, really I was.
You can't really tell from this picture, but his legs, I think he must have thought the world was over.
I handed him the beater to lick to soothe his distress while I cleaned him up, but he would have preferred a spoon since you can't lick a beater without getting something on his face, but he survived that. It is pretty funny to watch him try not to make a mess, and I'm fully aware of how horrible you all must think I am for torturing my son with messes then laughing about it.
But he's fine, and at least we have a working bathtub.
Ali doesn't ever like to be out of my sight, so whether I'm cooking dinner or folding laundry, she's content as long as she can see me, so we've gotten a lot of use out of a ....bumbo? or something? my visiting teacher gave to us. Mitchell, not liking being out of Ali's face, always finds us and brings with him as many toys as he can carry, and plops them and himself down right in front of her.
They've become best friends.
Ali's whole face lights up when Mitchell is near her, and Mitchell adores all the attention.
And he hasn't stopped taking pictures of himself. I particularly enjoy this one:
Also, moments after watching a snickers peanut butter commercial, mike insisted on running to the store to get one:
wait....
And they were excellent and we highly recommend them.
6 comments:
Awesome, awesome family. Hey Mikey....I want a snickers!
Wow! Those were great stories - I especially liked how he "pretended" to take a nap.
Meags, did you know that some lady won a $10,000 apple store gift card? That is the truth. She bought the millionth app or something like that. I'm telling you it pays to buy those apps.
It was so great to read how things are going in your life. Potty training is by far the worst thing you have to teach your children. I've been trying to get Sophie trained since September! The worst part is when she hides while I'm feeding Oliver and then when I find her she does this wicked laugh and sticks her hands in the panties. YUCK!!!
Your kids are so adorable! We should get together and let them play sometime.
meagan you make me laugh so hard this is the 5 time i read this post and i laugh harder and harder the more i read it i love your blogs!!
mwahaha I just stole all of your pictures..............that's how cute they are!
Post a Comment